Last Friday, the day after valentine's day is Total Defence day.
After hearing the siren at noon, I went to take a look outside. Life is like per normal with no people going to hiding nor at least get their heads covered. Gone were the days where our forefathers pray hard that the Japanese planes won't be visiting their homes.
I've always wondered. If the sirens were to sound now, without any warning nor any pre-plan broadcast or anything, will anyone still go to hiding? For the first siren, I strongly believe the answer is NO.
I felt that that we Singaporean are taking peace for granted. We dare to sleep in trains, go out at 2am alone to get supper or just leave our things lieing around in the open. I admit I guilty of doing that too. Is this really ok? There are countless stories where Singaporean got mug in the train in the States. Or got bashed up in Malaysia.
Whose fault are those?
Is it cause of our Singaporean face? Why don't the locals didn't get that? Once again, I believe that it's our mentality that the world is a safe place to live in.
A friend of mine whom always go JB to pump his bike patrol nearly get his bike stolen last week. His locks have been tampered with. The only thing that left the theft need to do is to ride his bike away.
But, thankfully, a Singaporean who saw it prevent this from happening. His bike was save. I'm glad that the Singaporean spirit in us still have not died. Kudos the the couple who saved his bike for stepping up in a foreign country.
I shall end with saying that safety is not to be taken for granted. Not even in Singapore.
Low crimes doesn't means NO crimes - Your Neighbourhood policeman says that.
/Hopped!
7:17 PM
>>>